Did You Know that You Need at Least 75grams of Protein During Your Pregnancy?
This Is Why:
· The amino acids that make up protein also make up the beginning stages of your baby’s cells, meaning they are needed to form your baby’s body, especially the brain.
· As a mom, your breast tissue and uterine tissue are also growing during your pregnancy, you need protein to facilitate that growth.
· Your blood volume almost doubles in pregnancy? Protein is essential for your body to keep up with that blood supply.
Good Sources of Protein:
· Lean chicken, lean beef, turkey, lamb, or veal
· Fully cooked fish or seafood that is low in mercury-i.e salmon, trout, shrimp or tilapia
· Split peas
· Red and white kidney beans
· Black, navy and garbanzo beans
· Plain yogurt
· Cottage Cheese
· Hard cheeses such as cheddar or parmesan (avoid soft cheeses)
Eating well is one of the best things you can do for your growing baby and your changing body. You can do it and it’s never too late to start!
Heather Simmons, RN
Schedule An Appointment
If you think you could be pregnant, please come in for a pregnancy test and to receive information about your options. All of our services are free of charge.
Pregnancy tests are the only service that can be scheduled online. STD screens and ultrasounds must be scheduled via phone or text.